It’s game day this weekend and we have been busy pondering and planning the ‘snacks’ surrounding the big event. It’s a food, football and friends kind-a-day.
Aside from the traditional wings, meatballs, sliders, potato skins, chili and chips, here’s a hearty, comforting and tasty beef stew – Italian-Style! Serve with garlic bread and a salad for an e-a-s-y Entrée to share with your family & friends. It’s a tomato-base, meaty dish loaded with veggies and on the ‘healthier’ side of game and comfort food.
With that being said…. Here ya go!
- 1-1/2 cups lean top round (preferably grass-fed) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce, preferably homemade
- 2 cups crushed canned tomatoes in juice (do not drain)
- 2-1/2 cups peeled and cubed potatoes – about 1/2 –inch cubes
- 2 cups fresh green beans cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
Rinse beef cubes and pat dry with paper towels. On medium-high heat, brown beef in olive oil, turning as it browns. Add chopped onion and brown until caramelized. Add minced garlic and stir a few stirs. Pour the wine, scraping up the brown bits at the bottom of the saucepan for approximately 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and spices. Cover saucepan and simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Water can be added if you like it ‘soupier’.
Note: This can also be prepared in a crock pot and kept warm during the game. After the ‘browning of the beef, onion and garlic, add to the crockpot with remaining ingredients and cook on low for approximately 6-7 hours.
Topping Suggestions, Optional: Grated Parmesan, Fresh Mozzarella Slices, Fresh Basil ribbons, Chopped Olives, Garlic Bread Cut into Cubes